Hello players & families of Whitemud West. I hope this email finds you well and growing with excitement for the upcoming hockey season. As the VP of Evaluations for Whitemud West Hockey Association, I am thrilled to extend a warm welcome to all players and families as we gear up for another great year of minor hockey!
It is a true testament to the dedication and passion of our hockey community that we have seen such an overwhelming interest in this year’s U11 HADP tryouts. The response has been tremendous, and we would like to inform you that the registration for HADP evaluations is now full. We have created a waitlist of additional players eager to participate, which is a testament to the growth and enthusiasm within our association.
We understand the significance of these evaluations to players and their families, and we are committed to ensuring a fair and transparent evaluation process. Our goal is to create an environment that allows players to showcase their skills, sportsmanship, and teamwork. To provide you with a clear understanding of the HADP evaluation process, allow me to outline what you can expect:
- HADP Summer ID Skates: Throughout the summer months (June, July, and August), Whitemud West hosted three HADP ID Skates. These sessions allowed players to experience the elite competition that HADP offers and provided insight into the program. They also enabled players and families to gauge the skill level of potential HADP participants, informing their decision to register for evaluations.
- Independent Third-Party Evaluators: To assess players and goalies, Whitemud West has engaged a third-party evaluator. For the 2023-24 season, we are introducing an electronic evaluation platform. Evaluators will utilize electronic devices such as mobile phones or tablets to record player evaluation scores. New this year, goalies will be evaluated by a dedicated third-party goalie evaluator.
- Four-Game Evaluation Series: The HADP evaluation process consists of 4 games. All registered players will be guaranteed playing time in the first two games. After these initial games, some players may be released based on evaluation results. A second round of assessments will take place after the third game, leading to further player adjustments.
- Prospect Game & Team Draft: The fourth and final game of the evaluation process will be the prospect game. Here, players will have the opportunity to showcase their skills one last time. Following the prospect game, the top 24 evaluated players are protected and will be drafted by the selected Head Coaches to their team. Coaches select from the remaining skaters who made the prospect game to complete their team’s roster. We aim to have 16 skaters and 1-2 goalies per HADP team.
- Opportunity for Withdrawal & Refund: We understand that circumstances can change, and we wish to extend the option to withdraw players from the HADP evaluations. If you choose to do so, you will receive a full refund of your tryout fee. Please contact our office by August 24th to indicate your decision.
Evaluation dates have now been posted. Times and skate groups will be posted to the website at the beginning of September. Please ensure all registration requirements are completed by September 5th or players will not be allowed on the ice for evaluations.
We recognize the anticipation and excitement that this process brings, as well as the potential challenges that it may pose. Whitemud West is committed to supporting both players and their families throughout this journey. Regardless of the outcome, we believe that the experience gained during the evaluation process is invaluable and contributes to each player’s growth on and off the ice.
Thank you for being part of our hockey community, and for your commitment to fostering a positive environment for our players. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out. We wish each player the best of luck during the evaluations and hope you all have a fantastic hockey season!